Several people are asking about my Ruby on Rails, An Immersive Introduction class (see last post). Here's the rundown on what you'll learn:
The class begins at 9.00 and finishes at 6.30 for 5 days.
We provide a catered lunch.
What You'll Learn
- Just Enough Ruby: you'll get comfortable with the major constructs of this wonderful language
- Rails MVC Architectural Implementationyou'll learn about the many defined folders and files that make up a Rails app
- Routing, Forwards and Back: initially confusing, Rails routing is tremendously helpful--if you understand how to make use of it (with special emphasis on RESTful end points)
- Configuring Databases: Oracle? SQL Server? MySQL? Postgres? SQLLite? Rails can handle them all -- even different databases for development v. testing v. production
- Migrations: source control for databases? Why didn't someone think of this sooner?
- Models: the heart of your application
- Forms from Models: more labor-saving goodness from Rails
- Model form validations: a bevy of built-in validators -- or create your own, custom validators
- Rails Console: you'll spend lots of time here probing your application
- Layouts: simple, elegant solution for section- or application-wide HTML
- Unit Testing: unit testing is really this simple?
- Sessions and Authentication
- Model Associations: hooking your models up, err...so to speak
- "Getting" Rails ActiveRecord: first, you'll hate it; then you'll love it
- Debugging Rails Applications: Stop the application while it's running, interrogate it to see what's going on under the hood -- one of my favorite aspects of Rails
- The Asset Pipeline: a good and simple idea that I have yet to see explained well
- ActiveRecord Query Interface: why you won't miss SQL (and how to use SQL for those times AR doesn't make sense)
- Events in Rails: learn this and it will revolutionize the way you write applications. Seriously.
- Ajax and Rails: very flexible; very easy
Again, the price is $3500. If you want to attend, send me an email at firstname.lastname@example.org or call me at 941.716.6909
Location: Austin, TX Dates: Jan 26-30, 2012